Protecting Your Devices: Simple Steps for Everyday Technology Security
Author: Mike Justice, FMS Bank Chief Technology Officer
As technology becomes more and more integrated into our daily lives, it’s important to take steps to ensure the security of our devices. From smartphones to laptops, it’s crucial to keep our personal and sensitive information safe. Here are some simple and practical tips to help you safeguard your technology:
- Use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication. This adds an extra layer of security to your accounts.
- Keep your software and operating systems up to date. Software updates often contain security patches to fix vulnerabilities.
- Use antivirus software and firewalls. These tools can help prevent malware and other security threats from infecting your devices.
- Enable the “Find My” or “Location Services” features on your smartphone. This makes it easier to find your device if it’s lost or stolen, and you can also wipe your data remotely if necessary.
- Avoid public Wi-Fi. Public Wi-Fi networks are often unsecured, so it’s best to avoid entering sensitive information (such as passwords or credit card numbers) when using them.
- Be mindful of what you share online. Don’t share personal information or passwords, and be careful about the photos and videos you post.